- About Us
- Green Your Spa
- Sponsor GSN
- Find a Green Spa
Plastic Pollution Reduction Challenge
GSN's first Plastic Reduction Challenge’s comes to a close with winners announced by eco-evangelist Ed Begley, Jr. at the Plastic Pollution Coalition’s Think Beyond Plastic Conference & Innovation Awards Ceremony
June 13 - 14, 2013
Click here for event details.
Thanks to all GSN member participants for their hard work and attention to this planet-healthy goal!
Plastic pollution is real and a growing daily threat to the planet and the creatures who inhabit it. Because of this Green Spa Network has launched the first ever "GSN Plastic Reduction Challenge” -- an 11-month campaign conducted in partnership with Plastic Pollution Coalition – where awards will be given in six different categories to winners from day, resort & destination spas as well as spa product companies.
“This effort underscores the very purpose of GSN’s existence,” explains GSN President and Rancho La Puerta Spa Managing Director, Roberto Arjona. “It’s our responsibility to take a leadership role with proactive measures that promote the health and wellbeing of not only our fellow humans, but also the planet we all share.”
Reduce usage of disposable plastic items in 5 categories: bags, bottles, cups, straws, packaging
Required Steps for Participants:
- Track current plastic usage with the GSN Plastic Reduction Calculator - in 1 category or all 5!
- Choose items to substitute
- The Calculator will provide cost comparison and tons of plastic reduced
- Share your progress on our Facebook Plastics Challenge page
- Submit Calculator to GSN approved Panel of Judges by March 20, 2013
GSN Suggested Alternatives to Disposable Plastic:
- Stainless steel or glass water bottles
- Water filtration systems to eliminate single-use bottles
- Stainless steel cups & straws
- Reusable utensils, dishes & cups
- Reusable bags – including dry cleaner & garbage bags
- Recycled post consumer waste, paper or glass packaging
"Plastic is a material that the earth cannot digest. Every bit of plastic ever made is still here with us as toxic plastic pollution. Disposable plastics are the greatest contributor to plastic pollution,” explains Daniella Russo, Co-founder and Executive Director of Plastic Pollution Coalition. “They are a danger to the earth and to humans on it due to the toxic chemicals leaching out of them. The only way to address this problem is by eliminating disposable plastics from our lives.”
Take The Challenge!
Access the Plastics Calculator here. Register below to take part in the challenge: